TYPE: Documents (Loose)
ITEM ID: 2226

Post a comment

David Sassoon Yacht Club Certificate

DATE
Year: 1898
Decade: 1890s
Century: 19th (1801-1900)

A debenture certificate of the Royal Bombay Yatch Club for Davis Sassoon.Sailing in Mumbai – both yachting and boat racing – was in vogue from the early nineteenth century with the first regatta being recorded in 1830. The club was founded in 1846. With no premises of their own, the committee used to meet at corporate offices such as the PandOStream Navigation co. or public rooms such as Apollo Bunder Refreshment Rooms, Kerner’s Rooms or at the Sailor’s HomeIn 1876 her Majesty Queen Victoria acceded to the request of the Governor of Bombay that the Bombay yacht Club be permitted to assume the title “Royal” and commanded it to be styled the Royal Bombay Yacht Club.It was only in 1880 that a proposal was made to have a Club house and a site was obtained from the Bombay Port Trust on lease. The site was situated on Wellington Reclamation adjoining Marine Parade with a garden in front at the waterfront. The entire plot of land was taken on a 50 year lease in 1887. The original building designed by Mr. John Adams, Government Architect, at a new estimated cost of about Rs. 39,000. The building was opened formally on 1st  November 1881. Further additions of the reading Room, Billiard Room, etc., were completed in 1883 at an additional cost of about Rs. 45,000.In 1894 The Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty granted permission for the club to fly the blue Ensign of the Fleet with the distinctive marks of the Club on the fly thereof . The following year a similar concession, with certain riders, was granted to Yachts belonging to the Club.In 1897 the Residential Chambers were designed by Mr. John Adams in the neo-Gothic style and constructed under the supervision of Mr. F.W. Stevens at a site on Apollo Reclamation on the south side of Apollo Bunder Road. The building was made of stone and built to accommodate 38 persons. Members contributed towards the cost of the building by loan through debentures. This building was officially opened in November of that year.