Jewish “Sports Club Hokoah” Stickpins
Two stickpins worn by members of the German-Jewish sports club in Essen, which existed from 1923 to 1938. The gymnastics and sports club, Hakoah Essen, offered soccer, athletics, boxing, tennis, table tennis, swimming and fencing. Ski trips to the Sauerland were organized.
As early as January 1924, the first edition of the club’s newspaper “Hakoah-Blätter” appeared, in which local companies could place advertisements. The Jewish community , which did not have its own paper, also had space for its messages here. The club management emphasized the political neutrality of the sports club and did not allow any space in the newspaper for advocating Zionism.
In 1937, soccer, gymnastics, swimming, athletics and table tennis were still practiced at Hakoah. Following Kristallnacht, the club was forced to close and three members were immediately sent to Dachau.