MATERIAL: Porcelain
TYPE: Dishes
DIMENSIONS: 7 in. high
ITEM ID: 287
  • Artwork
  • Artwork
  • Artwork
  • Artwork
  • Artwork
  • Artwork

Post a comment

Kutahia Porcelain Pitcher

Year: 1775
Decade: 1770s
Century: 18th (1701-1800)

An 18th century porcelain pitcher with silver mouth.

Kütahya (Turkish pronunciation: [cy’tahjal), (historically, Cotyaeum or Kotyaion, Greek:
KoTúaIov), is a city in western Turkey which lies on the Porsuk river, at 969 meters above sea level. The industries of Kütahya have long traditions, going back to ancient times.

Kütahya is famous for its kiln products, such as tiles and pottery, which are glazed and
multicoloured. After Iznik, Kütahya was Ottoman Turkey’s most important center of ceramic production. The earliest known Kütahya ceramics are monochrome glazed bricks decorating the minaret balcony of Kursunlu Mosque, dated 1377, and tiles on the cenotaph and floor of the Tomb of Yakup I of the Germiyanoglu principality, dated 1428, located in the imaret founded by the same ruler.

Kütahya ceramics continued to be manufactured over the next centuries, the finest quality examples dating from the 17th and 18th centuries. A decline in quality is observable from the second half of the 18th century, but there was a revival in the late 19th century, and with state support during the second quarter of the 20th century, this traditional ware has survived to the present day.

At the end of the nineteenth century the population of the kaza of Kütahya numbered 120,333, of which 4,050 were Greeks, 2,533 Armenians, 754 Catholics, and the remainder Turks and other Muslims. Kütahya and the district itself were spared the ravages of the Armenian genocide of 1915, when the Ottoman governor, Faik Ali Bey, went to extreme lengths to protect the Armenian population from being uprooted and sent away on death marches. However, Faik Ali Bey was removed from office in March 1916, and the city’s Armenian community suffered in the aftermath under the rule of his successor, Ahmet Mufit Bey. Kütahya was occupied by Greek troops on 17 July 1921 after Battle of Kütahya-Eskigehir during the Turkish War of Independence and captured in ruins [citation needed] after the Battle of Dumlupinar during the Great Offensive on 30 August 1922.